Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A Yellow Land

I bought The Yellow Book of Brechewold because I like yellow color. And, considering almost every book in the LotFP line has a black spine, it helps it makes my shelf prettier. Nice.

But, the book picked my curiosity and I read it. It has a lovely premise: an arthurian school of mages and an structure that I dig: small hexcrawl, discrete mega dungeon and a central hub with rumours. As a result, I bring it to the table.

As now, we have been running a little campaing around Brechewold. The dungeons has been interesting, they work. Each level has its own secrets and the layouts are very friendly and navigable. It does not have that oppresive and lethal feel of other LotFP modules (like Veins of the Earth). It's more light-hearted and safe.

My only gripe has been with random encounter tables. They are very underwhelming. Some encounters are a bit flat and I hate when after rolling the dice and flipping the book you read: no encounter. Ugh. I have some problems understanding some sections like those vertical dream rooms in the fourth level or the Mars sub-level. But, I guess my english is not that fine.

At this point in the campaing (7th term), some teachers secrets are useless, because the players already discovered them by themselves, but I use them to give them more information or clarify some obscure matters. Other thing that happened: my players were very interested about Ygraine, its dwellers and events, and I liked to be more prepared for that, with more lore to answer their curiosity. The good point is that they are very interested in the world and the emerging rebellion in the school and surroundings.

In my real life country, in politics, yellow means a shallow, lukewarm, and ambiguous safe position. I feel that Brechewold has been something like that. It's good! it's decent! but, it's too safe and lacking here and there. Vornheim has helped me to fill some gaps, but maybe I will need more work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wishy-washy Wizardry: a Brechewold Review

The Yellow Book of Brechewold (Lamentations of the Flame Princess, 2023) is a RPG adventure that revolves around a wizard school, its dungeo...